Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Physio


I love it. The course is intense, it’s expansive yet focused, geared towards creating practicing physiotherapists. The theory’s spewed out at the beginning of the week but from about half way through Wednesday to Friday it’s all practical = hands on in smaller tutorial groups practicing all sorts of things with each other. My favorite or should I say most memorable ‘move’ so far was a trigger point done on the piriformis muscle. This muscle needs to be release at times in some patients and you do this by pushing the gluteus maximus (your big butt muscle) aside a little and leaning into your piriformis muscle with your elbow right in the muscle belly. We all had to have this done to us to give us an understanding of what someone will feel when we do it to them. I was sweating about 5 seconds in, the person had only felt around with their hand pushing with their fingers to find the trigger point, which they found, where they’ll will press into with their elbow. Once they got their elbow on and leaned into it my pursed lips, clenched hand and sweaty brow told the story. I don’t know about you but I’m glad I’ll be on the giving end of this in the future. I’ll probably be smiling when I do it too. Only cause I’m not having it done to me, not out of joy for making you squeal.

Life at home is slowly becoming more comfortable. Evelyn bought some “paper towel” the other day which turned out to be toilet paper which was not only, not paper towel but was scented like a grandma’s bathroom which makes me feel just that much cleaner when I’m done. There have been some nights now that I’ve pulled up the blanket usually just over my chest, I’ll stick out my legs but it’s a start. Sleeping in a sheet isn’t half as cozy as a full on duvet. I think my butt’s building up a callus of some sort, as it’s not as sore from the bike riding. I can get on my bike in the morning with only a slight wince. I’ve learned how to use the washing machine so our cloths are clean. I’m also really good at hanging them all up on our deck; we have no dryer. Lastly, Evelyn picked up a nice copper base pan, which we do a lot of cooking in, so we’ve been eating some awesome meals. I like to think, our home is a beautiful place to be.

C.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you're getting into a groove! that sounds like some nice paper towel cleaning... we should adopt the practice of scenting our toilet paper. I'd imagine if you were allergic to perfumes that could be a very bad surprise though! I'm really excited for you to be liking what you're learning and it seems like you are going to come out of that school with the necessary tools to be a great physiotherapist! I just had a sweet epiphany the other day regarding school... turns out I have enough chemistry under my belt to declare it as a minor! haha woot woot, I always felt all that chemistry torture was in vain! but nope. The torture will make it into my life on paper too! but yeah, all I need is to take one more upper year (300 or 400-level class) class and I've got it. Other than that, pretty stoked to be finishing up my degree next year. it's kinda just hitting me.

    I'm kinda hating saskatoon right now though, cuz Anita's having so much fun in Vancouver. She's been going snowboarding soooo much lately and also Adelle's having a bunch of people over tonight and I just want to be there. instead of sitting in Saskatchewan, at home, on my computer, writing notes on the week's lectures, and now writing this message to you. Alright, seriously going... I've gotta email Edwin Mendivelso down in Colombia because apparently he understood in our previous emailing conversations that I am a doctor... oh the agony of dashing somebody's hopes and dreams. So I've gotta quickly let him know otherwise so he can cancel all of his plans he's already made for day clinics while we're down there.... lam-o I wish I was already a doctor so bad! cheers C & E
    your brother,
    -Neil

    ReplyDelete