Sunday, August 8, 2010

identity

Colin and I are back to our familiar routine of looking for an apartment. It’s much easier this time around now that we have a car, know what neighborhoods are nice, and I have a job that I need to live near. On Saturday Colin I were looking around a cute neighborhood called Concord. It’s sort of a trendy area with lots of shops, and Colin wanted to try out the fish and chips restaurant. When we walked in, the employee greeted us and said, “Hi boys, what can I get you?” I looked at him and waited for him to notice that I was not a boy, looked surprised, and then sheepish. Unfortunately there was none of that. I laughed it off and attributed it to my hat hair and giant boy sweater that I was wearing.

Today we wanted to have a Sunday BBQ in the park, so Colin, our friend Drew, and myself, brought our food and had a late lunch. When we were passing the soccer ball around afterwards, a chunky 8 year old girl came up to me and asked me if I was a boy or a girl. I hope she was confused because I was wearing a hat. I looked at the little girl, and said “boy” and she said, “oh, okay” and then left me alone in my shame.

If anyone asks me what gender I am tomorrow, I’m going to say hermaphrodite and punch ‘em in the face.

In other news, I dropped a glass pot lid but then caught it, then dropped it again, and smashed it into a million pieces. I couldn’t find our mini broom so instead I vacuumed it up. Colin suggested emptying the filter and vacuuming a second time for ultimate suctioning power. I’ve never emptied the filter before, but now know that when you press the button, the BOTTOM opens up. So once again, I vacuumed up all the glass, and even managed to get it in the nooks and crannies of the vacuum itself. Many minutes after initially dropping the glass lid, it was all cleaned up. The moral of the story is not to attempt housework when you’re lethargic.

E.

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted make a few comments on this, one of my favourite posts.

    First, I don't think you look at all like a boy. That's just silly.

    Second, I did the same thing with our vacuum cleaner the first time I emptied it. Perfectly normal to do that. Nothing weird about it at all.

    Third, hurry up and get back here. We want to hang out with you guys again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you just made my morning... in fact you just made my day! I'm about to go work for Laura and I think I'm going to be chuckling to myself all afternoon!

    "If anyone asks me what gender I am tomorrow, I’m going to say hermaphrodite and punch ‘em in the face."

    mwa haha so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i was in college this weird looking guy (honestly, he was weird looking, I'm not being mean...ok maybe just a little bit) told me and this other girl that this girls roommmate did "NOT" look feminine. After a few minutes of arguing he said, "Ya, so I don't think either of YOU look feminine". Hah! Rediculous. Glad to know I'm not the only one this has happened to! Let's be friends, you and I.
    love
    ashley

    ReplyDelete