Saturday, July 24, 2010

Australianism

Arvo: afternoon

Beautiful: Used to describe any food that looks/tastes/smells good.

Bike: Motorbike

Bisquits: Cookies

Cheap as chips: Very inexpensive!

Chewy: Gum

Crook: Sick

Cuppa: Cup of tea

Dear: Precious

Drama(s): Issues/problems

EFPOS: Debit

Flat: Feeling sad

Football: soccer

Footie: AFL or Aussie Rules Football

Full on: Busy

Good on ya: Well done.

Heaps: More than just a little

Hire: Rent

Hot chips: French Fries

How you going: How’s it going

Keen: willing or excited to do something

Lollies: Generic term for candies

Mate: Buddy or Friend

Muck around: Goof around

Neat: thin

Niggles: Bothersome

No Worries: You’re welcome.

Precious: High-maintenance

Push Bike: Bicycle

Queue: To line up.

Reckon: One’s opinion.

Ring: Telephone

Rubber: Eraser

Rug up: To put on warm clothes

Tea: Dinner

Toilet: Washroom/Bathroom

Tyres: Tires

Uni: University

Wetty: Wet suit

Where’s Wally: Where’s Waldo

Whingeing: Complaining

Bold words are ones used excessively.

I would like to personally challenge anyone and all who happen to read this, to create an Aussie sentence of their own and leave it as a comment. This is not an exhaustive list, if there are other Australianisms that we’ve missed like SQUIZZ let us know about them and if we hear them over here we’ll add them to the list.

Sentence Example:

I Reckon I’ll be keen to do heaps of studying this arvo, got some lollies to keep me going.

1 comment:

  1. Not to be Niggles, but I reckon my Dear Cuppa is heaps beautiful. ( I like niggles. And i am drinking delicious tea right now.)
    -Adelle

    ReplyDelete