Wednesday, April 7, 2010

what would you have said?

Yesterday at work I let out an SBD toot. I couldn't hold it any longer and the boss had just left the room so I figured it was safe. I'm not usually so delicate in matters of gas but I just started this great new job etc... so I feel the need to keep it clean for this first little bit. Unfortunately it was a bit of a lingerer so when my boss returned he actually started sniffing the air and asking me if "I smelled that?"....I was MORTIFIED and tried to act stupid. I played the part and sniffed the air a bit. "hmmm...nope, I can't smell anything." He was determined to figure it out though and kept at it.
After a few seconds I asked, "is it kind of a sewagey smell?"
"Yes! That's exactly it. Do you smell it now?"
"Nope..."
I wonder what would have happened if I had just said admitted to being a stinker. I think he would have laughed but I wasn't sure if we were there yet.

I apologize for the cheap toilet humor but I couldn't stop laughing yesterday and was excited to share. I'm sure we've all been there but I bet none of you have had someone investigate!

I must confess that I feel the urge to start saying "reckon". I had been so against picking up any Australianisms but I'm not sure if I can hold off much longer. Coming out of my lips it'll probably just sound red neck, so I'll see if I can wait it out. Also, when people are acting silly, they refer to it as naughty.

My job is going very well BUT pretty soon I'm going to have to start the dreaded reception rotation. Everyday there are two dentists and 3 assistants and 1 is always on reception, but its usually for half a day and then you switch. I am terrified of reception because you're processing money, dealing with insurance, answering phones, and just generally not screwing up the office. I don't know the computer system yet...or really anything, so I've been able to put it off. I'm going to ask if I can come in next monday and "train" so I can work somewhat competently when I'm eventually forced into it. Everyone has been there for a long time and I get the sense that they don't remember what its like to be new. They're all so kind and informative but I still get the vibe that it would be advantageous to learn fast! Wish me luck.

-E

1 comment:

  1. funny. I'm pretty sure I've never had an "investigative" experience like that before! pretty sure I would've sadly done the same thing though haha

    ReplyDelete