Sunday, January 1, 2012

NYE

Colin and I rang in the new year last night, Australia style. I never imagined myself doing this but we got up early, took the train to Circular Quay, and waited in line outside of botanical gardens so we could nab a spot to watch the fireworks. They only let 6,000 people into this specific section of the gardens and you have to be there when they open it to the public, at 10am, to get a premium viewing location of the harbor bridge and opera house. Jenna & Willy got there right before 10 and Colin and I didn't arrive until almost 11 due to trains and last minute food prep. They had saved ample room for us. In the area we were in there were no trees close enough to shade us so we roasted in the sun like idiots until it went behind a building at 6pm, then it got super cold. We weren't really prepared for either of the 2 extremes which made for a fairly uncomfortable day.

At 9pm the first fireworks go off for the Family Show and last for about 10 minutes. Sydney does an incredible display. We felt dumb at 8:50pm when our sweet area was trampled by all the smart people who had spent the day under trees, who came rushing up through the carefully blanketed area us foolish people had "reserved" for the previous 11 hours. I didn't enjoy those fireworks as much because I felt indignant about my zone being intruded on and strangers standing in front of me.

At 11:30pm we packed up all our stuff and just stood up to wait for the fireworks. We learned our lesson the first time. Our friend Willy had broken his wrist and toe the day before and we got a bit antsy when the pushing started. It was hard after such a long day and much anticipation not to get angry with everyone rushing in to get a closer look. Fortunately we weren't trampled and Willy escaped with his broken limbs still in tact. heh.

The midnight fireworks were amazing but it was a once in a lifetime experience for this girl. No fireworks display is worth a 14 hour wait exposed to the elements and trying to train it home with a million other spectators. I made a little video of our day but if you're interested in seeing the full scale of Sydney's fireworks, I'll throw in the link for the midnight fireworks they show on tv. It's spectacular.




E.

1 comment:

  1. Eve: Those definitely looked like some amazing fireworks! Thanks for sharing them with those of us who don't have incredible displays like that here in Calgary. I hope that you and Colin had a wonderful Christmas and that 2012 is packed with success, happiness, and health for the both of you. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete