Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pickles

Today we received a package brought over by my brother and sister-in-law's friend, Ardelle. She was passing through Sydney on her way to Melbourne, so she "muled" a package from home. Colin went to the airport to meet her. I've been thinking about this package for a long time. Mostly because it contains a lot of sugary items, but also because it was something familiar from home that was thoughtfully picked out by loved ones. All day at work I couldn't wait to come home so I could rip into it and snack!
There was also a flash drive with tv shows and pictures on it! As well as a bag of turkish delights that Colin had already retrieved from the pile of goodies.
What a treat to come home to. Thanks family.

You might remember, dear reader, that we made a formal complaint regarding our previous landlord who neglected to give us our damage deposit back. We received a notice today informing us that both parties neglected to show up to the hearing which took place yesterday at 10:10am. We will have to inform them that we didn't receive notice in the first place, because we would have loved to be there. Fortunately Sachin didn't make an appearance from India. Then we really would have looked foolish.

The boys are in full study mode. I tried to take pictures of them last night but they stopped what they were doing as soon as I brought out the camera. Our living room looks pretty funny at the moment. There are tables set up to roll balls on, towels on coffee tables, tape all over the floor, stuff taped to the walls, laundry clips scattered, and the plinth is set up right in the middle of it all. 3 is a nice number to have for studying. 1 will be the patient, another the practitioner, and a third to critique. I made them a rhubarb-strawberry meringue pie last night because Drew had never tasted rhubarb before. I messed it up so it wasn't a very good first impression. While the pie was baking we got Drew to drink a cup of dill pickle juice for $2. It was super gross. Mike said that Drew wouldn't get the money if he threw up, so he kept it down. His new nickname is Pickles but I'm not sure if it'll stick.

We just booked tickets to go to the great barrier reef in December. I'm pretty excited! We're flying to Cairns, Queensland from Dec 16-21. I couldn't wait to tell everyone at work where we were going and after I did they looked at me like I was crazy. My boss' brother was in the room and he said, "Queensland is more of a winter vacation spot." Oops! So if the crocodiles, jellyfish, and sharks don't get me, then surely the heat will. I'm still looking forward to it but I'll make sure to book a hotel with a pool. Or at least a sprinkler.

We've been getting quite a few moths in our house lately, which explains why most of the used furniture in Sydney smells like moth balls. Yuck. Last night however, the mother of all moths was in our bedroom. I thought it was a giant spider at first. Colin killed it with a broom but was never able to locate the body. Later in the evening I was cleaning up our room, and when I was throwing my damp charcoal colored shirt into the laundry I was suddenly attacked by the angry queen moth. I screamed and ran out of the room. The boys again tried to exterminate it but it took refuge in the light fixture dangling from our 10 foot ceiling. About an hour later I went back into our room and could finally see the moth sitting on the edge of the fixture. It took Colin another 5 minutes of chasing the moth around the room but Colin eventually won. I have never seen an insect fight so hard for it's life, it actually made me feel bad.

Well I've got to go and eat some chocolate.
g'night! (that's the opposite of g'day)

E.










No comments:

Post a Comment