Saturday, February 20, 2010

Riding the train

Dear fellow passenger, we don't know each other but I feel like we do. I know that you like to wear a lot of perfume/cologne, and I know that you like it a lot! You like your perfume as much as I don't like it. Did you know it gives me headaches and makes me pukey? Now you know a little more about me! This is fun. What else. Ummm I know that you love music. You love music so much that you listen to it without headphones so I too can enjoy it. Thanks for sharing Lady Gaga with me for 12 stops.

I secretly do love riding the train though, its just those two things that damper the ride. But after today we get to ride the train a little less (hopefully) 'cause we got BIKES! Things are looking up for the Kroegers! We have been looking for bikes for a while....well, two weeks. Everytime we pass a bike shop we go in and browse and take test spins. And we found a sweet auction house with loads of crappy bikes. We've also been following "gumtree" which is the Australian equivalent to Craigslist. Unfortunately many other people follow craigslist so you have to reply to a decent bike within the hour of it being posted. Anyhoot, we went bike shopping with our bike savey friend Dave today, who is in Colin's program, and he took us to the store where he bought his bike. Colin and I bought kick-butt and reasonably priced bikes there and then rode them around with Dave all late afternoon and evening. Our mistake was riding them in rush hour. Several times we almost got hit by buses and then later in the evening - car doors. I think one guy actually swore at me as I cried out in panic dodging the heavy wall he had flung in front of me. Oh ya, and I fingered a cab driver for cutting Colin off. We decided that we would ride in rush hour never again if possible. It was scary.

Tomorrow we are going to Manly beach and we are pretty excited. We will try to remember the camera cause Colin wants to rent a surfboard! Its going to be an early day though, so I should sign off.

-E

2 comments:

  1. love it. I love those people who ride the bus like it's their living room! new bikes sound like fun, oh and does it sound funny when people swear at you with their aussi accents?! I don't think I could handle myself, I'd just be laughing all day long while making everyone around me miserable.

    I just got back from my incredibly short trip home. Wednesday night came so fast! Anita was like,"well let's go pack your stuff up" and I looked at her like she was crazy and then realized what day it was and that I was going to be leaving at 4:45am.... oh right, I have to go ALREADY?!!!! it was lame. I got to go snowboarding with Magnus, his girlfriend, Tyler, and Anita up at Seymour.... oh and Josh Hall was working and gave me free passes for us both! booyah, and he came up with us for a while. It was great riding with him and chatting up the chairlift since it's been like 9/10 years since I last saw him!

    okay, should go eat breakfast and clean out my mouth. someone must have pooped in it while I was sleeping.

    love you guys, hope you have a burly day at manly beach.
    -Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha burly day at manly. Neil, you are turning into your dad! It doesn't really sound funnier when they yell swear, but in general conversation, ya it does sound a little silly.

    How was the drive home in baby hippo? That would have sucked if you had to do it by yourself. So exhausting. Was your trip home full with wedding details? Its getting down to crunch time, you'll be married in less than 3 months. WOW! You guys should come here for your honeymoon, the beaches are really really fun!

    We love you too!

    ReplyDelete